Another Color on Metal Sample

patina on copper
coloring copper with a combination of techniques

Sample created using a combination of techniques demonstrated in my 2010 Color on Metal workshop. Copper sheet with roll printed texture, red and black heat patina using a torch, plus a cold process cupric nitrate patina. I found the formula, instructions, and chemicals at ScienceCompany.com.

Reading and suppliers-Color on Metal 2014

8 thoughts on “Another Color on Metal Sample

1. Gail April 5, 2014 / 8:15 pm

Awesome colors!

2. Barbara Mandese May 10, 2015 / 11:31 pm

Hello Again Miss Carole! I could spend the entire day looking at your beautiful creations!! So I must stop now. lol….I came to see if you had anything on Patina’s (other than liver of sulfer) for Sterling. Not having any luck with Ammonia and salt. (I do have the gilders paste type colors as well and the rest of the paints and pencils) I am interested in watching a natural process on the silver though. Perhaps there is nothing? I can’t find anything on the internet for Silver other than L.O.S. Any suggestions?

• Carol Holaday May 11, 2015 / 9:12 pm

Hi Barbara, The only “natural” patina chemicals that I am aware of for silver are LOS and bleach (gives a brown color to silver). Lots of coloring materials will work on metal, including transparent permanent markers and alcohol inks. LOS can give colors from gold to orange, magenta, peacock blue, purple, and then last of all black. Later I will write a post for how to achieve those colors on silver using LOS, salt, and ammonia mixed together in water. Check back later for a new post with images and instructions. The ammonia and salt patina I covered in class is for copper and brass only.

3. Barbara Mandese May 11, 2015 / 9:17 pm

Awesome!!!!! Thank you. I’m looking soooooo forward to it.

PS: I sent a friend of mine over here to your blog yesterday. Also another maker of jewelry. ๐Ÿ™‚ I bragged about ya too. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Barbara Mandese May 11, 2015 / 9:25 pm

Oh…do you happen to have your “resource sheet” on this site by chance? Mine is in storage right now. If you do, maybe just tell me where to go for it? I don’t want to take up too much of your time. Greatly appreciated either way. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Carol Holaday May 11, 2015 / 9:35 pm

You can purchase liver of sulfur at Peninsula Gem and Jewelry on Fremont. Last time I was there that had both the dry lump variety and the gel form. I like the gel because it lasts longer in the jar.

5. William Neish July 14, 2018 / 8:56 am

This is a dazzling effect…I would even like to see it as a larger art piece, or the top of a coffee table or something. Your site is very informative and the pieces are beautiful.

6. Carol Holaday July 14, 2018 / 5:26 pm

Thank you William. I had a plan to frame it as a miniature to display in my studio for inspiration…. problem is, I can’t find it. Still searching.